Art Evolves Life - A Sound-Driven Game of Life
#### AI & Artificial Societies
* Some AI research deals with the modeling and creation of artificial societies
* The behavior of individuals ("agents") in a society may be simplistic
* The observation of the evolution of a society at large is interesting
* A simple example/starting point is John Conway's Game of Life
- Pursuing PhD at Umeå University, Sweden
- Scientist in Residence (Product), Signavio (software start-up, latest valuation 400m€)
- Focus: automated reasoning, engineering intelligent systems
- Amateur musician
Conway's Game of Life
Playing God in Game of Life - Example
- Grid of tiles
- Each tile represents "agent"
- Simple rules and neighbor activity decide: is agent off or on?
- Initially: random state
- Fascinating patterns can emerge, based on initial state
Societal "Rules" Evolve
"[H]ere are exposed those deeper formations in the mountain of humanity which usually remain concealed."
Playing God with Sound in Game of Life
- Friedrich Nietzsche. Menschliches, Allzu Menschliches.
The Interactive Game of Life as a Metaphor (Art)
The Interactive Game of Life as a Metaphor (AI)
Formal Models as Cultural Artifacts
"Research universities [...] are part of a cultural fabric. Culture is gauged by how interesting and challenging it is, and not by the benefit it brings."
- Ariel Rubinstein. Opinion Piece, FAZ, 2013.
Evaluation of Art and Science
#### Looking Ahead
* Heterogenous artificial societies
* Artificial societies that interact with the subtleties of music/arts
* Musicians/artists who _jam_ with artificial societies
Contact me at email@example.com
*This work was partially supported by the Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program (WASP) funded by the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation.*