Curriculum Vitae of Bo Kågström
High performance computing (HPC2N)
- Bo Kågström is Full Professor of Numerical Analysis
and Parallel Computing at Umeå University, Sweden (appointed
- During 1983--1994 he has been Chairman of the Institute
of Information Processing. From July 1, 1994 the Institute was split
in two departments and during 1994--1998-12-31 Kågström has
been the Head of the Department of Computing Science. In total,
15 years experience as Department Head/Chairperson.
- Since 1996 he is the Director of High Performance Computing Center
North (HPC2N), a national center for scientific and parallel computing
funded by the Swedish Research Council (VR) as part of its Metacenter
SNIC. During 1989-1996, he was the Scientific Director of Supercomputer
Centre North (SDCN), the predecessor of HPC2N.
- Bo Kågström is appointed member of the Royal Swedish
Academy of Engineering Sciences (IVA), Division of Information
Technology since November 1992. Vice Chairman of the Division of Information
- Bo Kågström has been awarded the Society for Industrial
and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) Linear Algebra Prize 2000
for the most outstanding paper on a topic in applicable linear algebra
published in English in a peer-reviewed scientific journal during the
three year period 1997--99 (together with Alan Edelman, MIT and Erik
Elmroth, Umeå University).
- Bo Kågström has been awarded the Nordbanken Scientific
Prize 2000 for his research contributions in parallel and scientific
- Bo Kågström has been appointed SIAM Fellow 2016.
- Appointed member of the Prize Committees of the SIAM/SIAG
Linear Algebra Prize 2003 and the SIAM Germund Dahlquist Prize, 2007
and 2009. Member of the organizing committee of the SIAM Applied Linear
Algebra Conference in 2006.
- Appointed Expert in the European Exascale Software Initiative
(EESI), WG 4.3--Numerical librarires, solvers, and algorithms (FP7 Support
- Appointed Panel Chair for an international evaluation of
INRIA Theme: Distributed and High Performance Computing (Fall
- He has been Vice Chairman and Chairman of the Research Council
of the Faculty of Science and Engineering at Umeå University
(Chair Spring 2008, Vice chairman 1999-2008, member since 1993).
- Kågström is member of the Strategic Technical Advisory
Committee (STAC) of the national SNIC Metacenter (Vice chairman
- Kågström's experiencse include work as a Visiting
Scientist at MIT (1980) and Stanford University (1983, 1985). Several
shorter visits at Cornell University.
- His research interests are in the areas of parallel and
high-performance computing (algorithm design and development support
tools, recursive blocked algorithms and hierarchical matrix storage
formats, GEMM-based level 3 BLAS), web and grid computing, numerical
linear algebra (matrix pencil and subspace problems with applications
in control theory, canonical forms, generalized eigenvalue problems,
matrix functions, matrix equations), differential-algebraic systems,
mathematical and scientific library software, and problem solving environments,
bioinformatics, and applications of scientific simulation methods in
visual and interactive computing.
- Kågström has over 100 scientific publications,
and he has been invited speaker at several international conferences,
workshops and universities worldwide.
- He has been principal advisor and supervisor for
14 PhD Theses, 18 Licentiate Theses and several Master Theses. He is
currently involved in supervising four PhD graduate students.
- He has been opponent/referee and member of PhD Committees
in Sweden and internationally (Technical University of Eindhoven, Netherlands
2003; Technical University of Berlin, Germany, 2004).
- Post-docs visiting and collaborating with Bo K ågström:
James Demmel, 1984--85 (presently full professor at the Dept. of Mathematics,
Univ. of California, Berkeley); Francoise Guyomarc'h, 2001--02, IRISA-INRIA,
Université de Rennes I, Rennes, France; Daniel Kressner 2005—2007
(presently ass. Professor at ETH, Zürich).
- Over the years he has been project leader and principal
investigator of several research projects, granted by Swedish Research
Councils and Foundations (e.g., VR, TFR, FRN, HPDR, SSF, VINNOVA, Knut
and Alice Wallenberg Foundation, Kempe Foundations and NUTEK), including
grants for large scale High Performance Computing (HPC) systems.
- He has been organizer and co-organizer of several international
conferences (e.g., Matrix Pencils 1982, Workshop on Vector and Parallel
Computing 1988, Nordic Workshop on Scientific Visualization 1990, SUP'EUR92
-- Supercomputing in Europe 1992, High-performance computing applications
in new and traditional areas -- today and in the future, 1997, PARA98
-- Applied Parallel Computing: Large Scale Scientific and Industrial
problems, Bioinformatics Symposium, 2002 and 2003), PARA 2006 - State
of the Art in Parallel and Scientific Computing, 9th International Northern
European Bioinformatics Conference, 2007, and INYS 2008 Workshop on
High Performance Scientific Computing. He is editor of four conference
proceedings published by Springer Verlag.
- He is a member of the editorial board (corresponding editor) of SIAM
Journal of Matrix Analysis and Applications (1991--1997, 2002--2008),
and Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications (2009--). Associate
editor of Scientific Programming, and a reviewer for Mathematical
Reviews. Over the years, Kågström has been refereeing for
several international scientific journals and Research Councils, including
- Professional memberships (in alphabetical
order): ACM, AMS, IEEE, Niconet, SIAM, SIAM-SIAGs: Linear Algebra, Control
& Systems Theory, Computational Sciences and Engineering, Supercomputing,
- For additonal information see other links on Bo Kågström's homepage.